2018-2019 Calendar

HIS Monthly meetings (3rd Thursday) are 9:30a - 2p @ Wakemans Grove Church (668 Wakemans Grove Road) in Edinburg.

Homeschool Gym (PE) (2nd Wednesday) is 1-2:30p @ Liberty Baptist in Strasburg.

Mom's Night Out (MNO - Monday after the 3rd Thursday) 7pm, Denny's Mt. Jackson

April 2019
18 - HIS Regular Meeting - Feet Shod with the Gospel of Peace/Nervous System
22 - MNO

May 2019
6 - X-Fair, participants set up begins at 6:30, judging to begin at 7pm, Shenandoah Community Fellowship, 197 Patmos Rd, Woodstock, VA 22664
16 - HIS Regular Meeting (Make Up) - Sword of the Spirit/Shield of Faith and Muscular/Skeletal Systems
20 - MNO

June 2019
14 - HIS Graduation - Plains Community Center - time tba
20 - HIS End of the Year Picnic - 11am, W.O. Riley Park, Woodstock




Thursday, October 13, 2016

Feeling Like A Homeschool Mom Failure??

CBP Rescues Man After Crash. US Govt photo.


So I just spent 12 years worrying  teaching  my oldest son all (or as close to that as possible) that I thought he needed to know to graduate. I changed curriculums when things were not coming together, I read all the suggestions from the expert moms. I asked other homeschool moms for their best advice, and in the end I usually ended up on a different path than all those suggestions. 

Prayer was my friend, and my prayer was, “Lord, help me to be the homeschool mom you want me to be. Help my children to learn what you want them to learn for the things you have planned for them.”  Over the years, I kept a little running clock in my head that counted down the time left to accomplish all the things he needed to learn: I need to work on his memorizing those multiplication tables. We need to do Biology with a lab. He needs to know both MLA and APA style writing. We haven’t completed US Government yet! What about that science book we never finished? We only have 7 years…4 years…1 year!… and on and on the countdown went. As we pushed through his senior year I went back and forth contemplating, Do I need to add another year or two?? It just seems like there are things I still need to work on with him, things he has not mastered. Maybe I’m letting go too early.

My son struggled with writing and spelling. It wasn’t that he couldn’t come up with great things to say, it was that the process of getting it from his head onto paper caused him difficulty. We spent many years working on this, and when he graduated I still struggled with where he was in this area. His math, science, history, and every other subject were on par. After much prayer, I knew I just had to let go. The Lord made it clear to both of us that He had other plans that were starting soon for my son’s life, and I needed to release him to those plans. (The last thing I ever want to do is stand in God’s way!)

So here we are 5 months later, and I have learned a few things I want to share with those of you feeling like a failure, like you aren’t doing enough, that you chose the wrong curriculum, that your kids aren’t where the other kids his age are, or the biggie: that you are messing your kids up for-ev-er. You may be struggling through elementary, middle or high school with these lovely thoughts. 

I’ve been there, too. As a matter of fact, I have 3 children that I’m currently homeschooling and I still feel like that some days.  So as a testimony to God’s faithfulness I want to tell you that even though I may have messed up at times, my son is in college. He is writing papers (yes, more than one or two weekly) and there are no teeth being pulled by anyone! All those things that I taught him about writing that he could not implement before? He found them somewhere tucked into his brain and he is using them. Does he still struggle? Yes, but what I’ve found is that God is faithful and is giving him all that he needs to complete the work required.  It doesn’t matter what I missed teaching him because he has a better teacher than me: he has God.  

So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 
1 Corinthians 3:7

You know what else I learned? It was only me who thought I had only 12 years to teach him everything. I have some of my finest teaching moments with my son over email when my son sends me his college papers to look over. God is still teaching and working on him. God has no time limits. There are still things my son needs to learn or practice, but he has time to learn it now. Mind you that I’m not saying you should just quit teaching/homeschooling your child or be careless about providing a good education. What I am saying is stop with the worrying. If you are praying, and you and your child are doing your best, you can trust that God is there

How could I have missed that before? I don’t know. God teaches me things daily and I suppose I forgot that He can do the same for my grown (or younger) children. Lay it down and give it to God. He’s already in control and just letting you think you are anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment